1. Thomas Bender, Rethinking American History in a Global Age (2002).
The Progressive Era
2. Richard Hofstadter, The Age of Reform (1955).
3. Jackson Lears, Rebirth of a Nation: The Making of Modern America, 1877-1920, (2009).
4. Daniel T. Rodgers, “In Search of Progressivism,” Reviews in American History 10, no. 4 (1982): 113-132.
5. Robert H. Wiebe, The Search for Order, 1877-1920 (1966).
6. Daniel T. Rodgers, Atlantic Crossings: Social Politics in a Progressive Age (1998).
The Depression and the New Deal
7. David M. Kennedy, Freedom from Fear: The American People in Depression and War, 1929-1945 (1999).
8. Lizabeth Cohen, Making a New Deal: Industrial Workers in Chicago, 1919-1939 (1990).
The American West
9. James N. Gregory, American Exodus: The Dust Bowl Migration and Okie Culture in California (1991).
10. Patricia Nelson Limerick, The Legacy of Conquest: The Unbroken Past of the American West (1987).
Gender and Sexuality
11. Glenda Elizabeth Gilmore, Gender and Jim Crow: Women and the Politics of White Supremacy in North Carolina, 1896-1920 (1996).
12. George Chauncey, Gay New York: Gender, Urban Culture, and the Making of the Gay Male World, 1890-1940 (1994).
13. Kathy Peiss, Cheap Amusements: Working Women and Leisure in Turn-of-the-Century New York (1986).
14. Nancy F. Cott, The Grounding of Modern Feminism (1987).
Labor and Laborers
15. Vicki L. Ruiz, Cannery Women, Cannery Lives: Mexican Women, Unionization, and the California Food Processing Industry, 1930-1950 (1987).
16. Neil Foley, The White Scourge: Mexicans, Blacks, and Poor Whites in Texas Cotton Culture, (1997).
17. Robin D. G. Kelley, Race Rebels : Culture, Politics, and the Black Working Class (1996).
The Cold War
18. Elaine Tyler May, Homeward Bound: American Families in the Cold War Era (1988).
19. John Lewis Gaddis, The United States and the Origins of the Cold War (1972).
20. Jeremi Suri, Power and Protest: Global Revolution and the Rise of Detente (2005).
21. Erika Lee, At America’s Gates: Chinese Immigration during the Exclusion Era, 1882-1943 (2003).
22. Mae M. Ngai, Impossible Subjects: Illegal Aliens and the Making of Modern America (2005).
23. George J. Sánchez, Becoming Mexican American: Ethnicity, Culture, and Identity in Chicano Los Angeles, 1900-1945 (1995).
Urban History and Suburbanization
24. Thomas J. Sugrue, The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit (1996).
25. Kevin M. Kruse, White Flight: Atlanta and the Making of Modern Conservatism (2005).
26. Becky M. Nicolaides, My Blue Heaven: Life and Politics in the Working-Class Suburbs of Los Angeles, 1920-1965, (2002).
27. Robert O. Self, American Babylon: Race and the Struggle for Postwar Oakland (2003).
Race and Whiteness
28. Matthew Frye Jacobson, Whiteness of a Different Color: European Immigrants and the Alchemy of Race (1998).
29. Thomas A. Guglielmo, White on Arrival: Italians, Race, Color, and Power in Chicago, 1890-1945 (2003).
30. Peggy Pascoe, What Comes Naturally: Miscegenation Law and the Making of Race in America (2009).
31. Mary L. Dudziak, Cold War Civil Rights: Race and the Image of American Democracy (2002).
32. Thomas J. Sugrue, Sweet Land of Liberty: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in the North (2009).
33. Barbara Ransby, Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement: A Radical Democratic Vision (2003).
Late Twentieth Century
34. Bruce Schulman, The Seventies: The Great Shift In American Culture, Society, And Politics (2001).
35. Lisa McGirr, Suburban Warriors: The Origins of the New American Right (2001).
36. Daniel T. Rodgers, Age of Fracture (2011).